How is it that after nearly 18 months of Phase II revisions we don’t have a better ordinance?
· There is still venting and flaring.
· There are still pits.
· There are loopholes in the reduced emission completion requirements.
· Setbacks are still stuck at 1,000 feet.
· There is a red carpet for variances.
· Compressor stations are nowhere mentioned.
· Gas wells can still pop up near homes and schools.
· There is no waste management plan.
· There is no water and air monitoring. (The last draft actually took a step backward by eliminating freshwater well monitoring and the leak detection and compliance plan.)
· There is no requirement to implement best practices.
· And even the few improvements we do have will not apply to much future activity, which will be vested under old rules.
The clock is ticking and it looks like we are not going to get an ordinance that protects the health, safety, and welfare of the people of Denton. Those of us who have tried to reform things from within the system are growing weary…